We’ve heard it time and time again that having an active Twitter profile will bring your website more traffic. This makes sense, but in order to do it to a scale that makes an obvious difference to your company, you must have hundreds if not thousands of followers. Gaining these followers organically is a must, which can seem like a daunting task; we have put together a few tips to make it a little easier for you.
1. Follow other tweeters. This one is obvious, however it is essential. Often those you follow will follow you back if you are relevant to their field or engage with them on social media. It also builds up a wide and varied platform for you to meet others who you want to follow.
2. Engage with potential followers. Do this by reaching out to people in your industry; find bloggers in your field and read their most recent article before posing them a question about it on Twitter. This will create a conversation that will alert them to you as well as their followers.
3. Use appropriate hashtags. This will encourage other users to associate you with certain keywords, however don’t use too many as this can be annoying and cause people to unfollow or disregard you.
4. Target leaders in your industry. The best way to get noticed is to reach out to big influencers and engage with them on a public platform.
5. Tweet during high traffic hours. If you tweet late at night or early in the morning you run the risk of having your tweets buried under the posts that follow yours. If you can’t tweet at peak times, then use a scheduling system such as Buffer or Tweetdeck.